California assembly - Jobs & the economy
Newspapers: state agency advertising: worker status: independent contractors
Assembly Bill 323 (2020)
- 09/30/20: Chaptered by Secretary of State - Chapter 341
- Would require a state agency to give preference to local news organizations, as specified, in contracts or subcontracts for the placement of marketing or outreach advertising services. The bill would require the Department of General Services to be responsible for ensuring that state agencies give local news organizations that preference.
- Grants exemptions from AB 5 to allow newspaper carriers to be classified as independent contractors, not employees.
- Prioritizes local outlets for the placement of state agency public outreach advertisements.
- Incentivizes subscribers and advertisers to continue their financial support of the news industry through tax deductions.
- Exempts California news outlets from paying sales tax until the economy recovers from the crisis.
- LASCC Position: Support
Read the official bill. Click Here