california assembly - Housing & LAnd use
Local government financing: affordable housing and public infrastructure: voter approval.
District 4 Assembly Member Cecilia Aguiar-Curry
- This will lower the necessary voter threshold from a two-thirds supermajority, to 55 percent approval for local General Obligation (GO) bonds and special taxes for affordable housing and public infrastructure projects.
- This measure would authorize a local government to impose, extend, or increase a sales and use tax or transactions and use tax imposed in accordance with specified law or a parcel tax, as defined, for the purposes of funding the construction, rehabilitation, or replacement of public infrastructure or infrastructure, affordable housing, or permanent supportive housing if the proposition proposing that tax is approved by 55% of its voters voting on the proposition and the proposition includes specified accountability requirements.
- 11/30/20 - Died on unfinished business file, reconsideration pending.
- Recommended Position: Oppose
- Taxes are already high enough. We do not have the threshold to support these additions. This is not favorable since it is making it easier to pass tax increases when we already have billions of taxes approved, some unspent, inappropriately spent, and others unaccounted for.
Read the bill. Click Here