california - Los Angeles City - Homelessness
Los Angeles responsible hotel ordinance
- Would require hotels to report room vacancy on a daily basis and accept homeless occupants. Hotels will be subject to city oversight.
- History: 08/09/2022 - Council action final.
- Recommended Position: Oppose
- Government officials continue to fail to solve the homeless problem, so they take it upon themselves to force businesses to do it for them. This would severely impact our tourism business and tax revenue for the city. As an example, the city of Los Angeles had to pay the Mayfair hotel $11 million dollars in damages. Some hotels between the use tax and mandated hotel ordinance, are already looking at their Los Angeles exit strategy.
- The item is headed to the rules committee. The scheduled date is to be determined. Item election is set for March 5, 2024. The last day to pull the item from the ballot is December 8, 2023.
Read the ordinance. Click Here