LA City - housing
tenant Anti-harassment ordinance
Ordinance No. 187109
District 8 Council Member Marqueece Harris-Dawson
- Prohibits various forms of harassment by landlords and their agents against tenants.
- 06/23/21 - Council adopted item forthwith.
- 07/08/21 - Ordinance posted/published. Ordinance effective date: August 6, 2021.
- 07/20/21 - Council action final.
- The current bill could lead to rental housing providers facing unscrupulous litigation, finding themselves with extreme penalties for minor errors and mistakes. This will lead to higher cost of housing and continue to deter entry to the rental housing market.
- Tenants should not be inappropriately and unduly harassed.
- Don’t want potential abuse from the ordinance that leads to needless, unnecessary, and inappropriate lawsuits.
- While we understand additional enforcement options and frameworks, we believe any additions should ensure both housing providers and tenants are protected from frivolous lawsuits and bad faith intent.