california Senate - Environment
Local government: planning and zoning: wildfires
- 07/12/21 - July 12 set for first hearing. Failed passage in committee. (Ayes 4. Noes 2.) Reconsideration granted.
- SB 12 (McGuire) seeks to impose a new regulatory framework that will place duplicative procedures on development that could result in a number of unintended consequences, including the stifling of the creation of critically needed housing stock.
- Recommended Position: Oppose
- While we understand the importance, their obligation of this legislation is without sufficient research and understanding of current codes and requirements, while significantly containing duplicates on existing laws and regulations
- With the lack of affordable housing, this legislation will also lead to additional lack of affordability in creating both market and subsidized housing, likely leading to higher homeowner and property owner costs in general.
- Legislation may also lead to subjectivity, and could lead to new and more discretionary reviews, thereby creating significant housing delays and costs.
Read the bill. Click Here