california senate - housing
Los Angeles County: Affordable Housing
District 30 Senator Sydney K. Kamlager
- Will establish the Los Angeles County Affordable Housing Solutions Agency (LACAHSA) and authorizes LACAHSA to utilize specified local financing tools for the purpose of funding renter protections, and the preservation and production of housing units affordable to households earning up to 80% of the area median income (AMI).
- LASCC's Position: Oppose
- Land Use Creation of the LA County Affordable Housing Solutions Agency
Bizfed voted to oppose.
- This is nothing more than creating another bureaucracy to increase affordable housing with the authority to pass higher taxes and fees on land use decisions.
- We have already spent billions of dollars by spending over $600k per unit without accounting for the money already spent or a plan and accountability and asking for more of the same.
- The answer is simple including the following which put many community based developers like me who hired from the community and could build for under $200k per unit out of business:
- 1.Reduce soft costs (over $100k per unit in LA alone)
- 2. Implement CEQA reform which would stop the union extortion from small businesses
- 3. Streamline the permitting process.
- With all of the above, a simple four unit building which used to take 6-8 weeks to approve can take almost three years to approve.
- Note Bizfed and other business and trade associations have been trying for years. City Councilmember Buscaino has made some very good, sound permitting recommendations but most of the other councilmembers have not supported them.
Read the bill. Click Here