california senate - housing
SB-9 (2021-2022) & Sb-10 (2021-2022)
SB-9 - District 39 Senator Toni G. Atkins
- Removes local zoning from all residential properties in California
- Rezones by state statute virtually all parcels within single-family residential zones in California allowing for the creation of (when combined with state Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) up to 10 units; and further authorizes urban parcel splits, without any local discretionary hearing or review, including compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
SB-10 - District 11 Senator Scott Wiener
- Allows for a 10-unit apartment building on any residential property in a transit rich or a job rich area.
- Affordable units are not required.
- Infrastructure improvements are not required
- LASCC's Position: Oppose
- In a poll by David Binder Research, it indicated that if voters were to vote on both bills today, it would have an overwhelming opposition, with 71% against SB 9 and 75% against SB 10. Still, the legislature are ignoring the people.
- Small rental prop owner and peers no longer obtain solicitation to buy our buildings from local community investors. Most solicitation now are coming from large wall street and foreign investors. This will create limited local ownership.
- There is no requirement for affordable housing, no requirement to take individuals that are retirees with single family homes or renters.
- This will not replace true affordable housing. There is no sufficient requirement for true affordable housing. Many workforce requirements based on today’s development will likely increase costs and cause displacement and gentrification.
- To renters and seniors this will reduce replaceable options, thereby displacing owners to live in rental housing.
- No CEQA requirements/ Environmental Protection
- Bills claim to be environmentally responsible but reduce the amount of tree canopy in front and rear yards. 80% of city trees are in residential yards.
- This is a taking by your elected official and wall street of affordable housing.